Thank You Chagrin!
This year students head off to enjoy the annual Blossom Time Festival with the 2015-16 school year complete. On behalf of the Chagrin Falls Board of Education, we would like to wish the entire community an enjoyable summer. This has been a tremendous school year as we implemented the second year of the district strategic plan in our quest to personalize education for every student. Recently we asked our parents and staff to complete a survey to gauge progress on the ongoing work within the district. This data will be evaluated and inform necessary changes as we finalize focus areas for the upcoming school year. Over the next month we will complete a comprehensive summary of the work completed and share it through the annual publication of the districts quality profile.
We are extremely excited to announce that we will be moving forward with the creation of the Innovation Lab at Chagrin Falls Middle School. This is phase #1 of an independent fundraising campaign led by the Chagrin Falls Education Foundation. The space will build upon and expand the current capacity of the media center by integrating three distinct areas:
- A research center to foster idea creation, study and allow students to explore literature.
- A collaboration classroom where we will force collisions between students and faculty in small group discussions within the school, and beyond the borders of Chagrin through connected technologies
- A maker’s space to bring students’ ideas to life with 3D printers, embroidery machines, laser cutters, tools and more.
This renovation project will begin immediately. This is the result the campaign led by Chagrin Falls Education Foundation and has already been supported by parents, residents and other school support organizations (PTO, Boosters and Dads’ Club). The second phase of this is to integrate STEM programming in grades k – 8 and add additional technology exposure for students in the high school. Learn more and see renderings of the space here by watching the video: https://www.gofundme.com/cfinnovation
The district has also continued to focus on a long term facility plan. The Chagrin Falls Board of Education has been working diligently to evaluate options that meet educational needs while being fiscally responsible. As of now, the board anticipates placing a combination levy on the ballot next spring that would provide a four year operating cycle, address Chagrin Falls Intermediate School and provide necessary monies to maintain ongoing capital expenditures. The board has engaged a core group of highly qualified residents with experience in the industry to provide recommendations in three areas:
- Evaluate current design of Chagrin Falls Intermediate School identifying modifications or comprehensive changes for the board of education to evaluate to achieve a lower cost.
- Recommend an ongoing permanent improvement amount that would meet capital expenditures in the foreseeable future
- Evaluate swing space options for educating students during construction
The committee will be making recommendations for board consideration by August. If you would like more information regarding this process or would like to monitor progress of this work information can be accessed at http://www.chagrinschools.org/FacilityMasterPlan.aspx .
This is certainly an exciting time for our school district. We are extremely fortunate to work in a community that values and supports education. We will be working diligently to be prepared to welcome our students back on August 23rd. Have a wonderful summer Chagrin!